Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat is seven years old and is constantly cleaning her chest and shaking a lot, like she is trying to rid herself of

Customer Question
She is seven years...

She is seven years old and is constantly cleaning her chest and shaking a lot, like she is trying to rid herself of something, we have bathed her thinking it was her dry skin but didnt help. it seems to really be bothering her.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?

Sadie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about sadie?

She is a very key cat most things do not b other her at all. but his cleaning and jerking is worrying us

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
2/24/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Karing, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Karing
Dr. Karing, Veterinarian

Hi there,

I'mCustomerand I would be glad to help with your question about Sadie. I just need a little more information.

How long has she been having these symptoms and do they occur every day or intermittently?

Is Sadie on any medications currently including parasite control?

Is there any unusual stress in the household that may be affecting Sadie at this time.

I'm standing by for your response.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the symptoms have been going on for two months now and several times a day, no stress on her she is such a quiet cat no meds
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no phone call pleaseno phone
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
have you an answer

The most likely explanation for what you are observing is some sort of allergy (i.e. environmental, food, fleas, etc.) or a smaller number of cats display these symptoms as the result of felinel hyperesthesia syndrome. Allergies should be ruled out to the greatest extent possible before considering a diagnosis of feline hyperesthesia syndrome.

I would recommend the following:

1. Zyrtec (i.e. over the counter antihistamine with the only active ingredient cetirizine): give 5mg every 12 - 24 hours

2. Topcial flea control with a product such as Cheristin which is available at Amazon https://www.cheristin4cats.com/

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
thank you i will try that

If the problem persists beyond those efforts, then you should have Sadie examined by your veterinarian and bringing a video of her behavior/episodes of twitching may be helpful.

You can read more about feline hyperesthesia syndrome here: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=3000

There are prescription medications that can be helpful to cats with this condition.

Please let me know if you have other questions regarding this matter. If you have received all the information you require, then please select the star rating at the top of the screen to which is the only means by which I am compensated.

Thank you so much,

Customer/p>
Hi Barbara,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer

Hi Barbara,

I noticed that you have not selected the star rating to accept my response to your question and I want to make sure that you were satisfied with the information I provided. Please let me know if you have additional questions about this matter that I can help with. If not, a kind accept would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Customer