Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My cat is 6 years old, playful, eating well, passing water

Customer Question
Thank you, ***** ***** is...
Thank you, ***** ***** is 6 years old, playful, eating well, passing water and bowel movements no problem.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Tooko. Tooko has a problem that frightens me. He seems to go into a trance, his back arches out of shape, his legs dig into the cloth under him and he purrs very loud. Something like a seizure. After it stops, he cleans his private area, then returns to normal. These seems to last two to three minutes sometimes. After he cuddles up to me and sleeps. My vet said his blood tests are normal but he doesn't know what the problem is. I am very worried.
JA: Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tooko?
Customer: Tooko was a shelter cat whom I think was abused. He has a very real fear of men. He loves me and my husband but isn't very pleasant to others. He is all black and beautiful. He always has a cat treat after
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
2/18/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Meghan Denney, Cat Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Cat Veterinarian

Hi I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your question now. Please give me a few minutest to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question.

Can you tell me if his skin seems to crawl along his back ? Is he on flea prevention? Has he ever had anal gland issues or had them checked?

The top condition that is jumping out in my mind as a possibility is something called feline hyperesthesia syndrome.

Also called rolling skin disease

The word hyperesthesia basically means an increase in sensitivity. If you have a cat with this syndrome you will probably be well aware of what is meant by this. These cats act as though they have pain from simply being petted, especially along their lower back. Their skin seems to twitch as if they are irritated just by the air currents passing over them. Some cats will attack their tails or even go running through the house screaming. Cats with milder disease may simply lick or bite their paws in response to petting. Often, itchy skin conditions, such as flea bite allergy, make the syndrome more prominent. Some cats actually go into seizures when petted in certain ways.

Hyperesthesia syndrome is felt to be a type of compulsive disorder, usually initiated when the cat is in conflict. The cat wants to perform one behavior but is prevented from doing so and ultimately in frustration performs another behavior. After a while, this second behavior, which frequently is grooming, is performed compulsively.

The usual patient is relatively young, age 1 to 5 years and is most commonly an Oriental breed such as a Burmese, Siamese, Abyssinian, or Persian, though any breed of cat can be involved.

I would check his anal glands at your veterinarian's first then if they are empty try a trial on a medication called gabapentin and see how he does. If this is feline hyperesthesia then it will help.

If you have additional questions please reach out to me here and I will be more than happy to assist you.

If this answered your question please rate my assistance so I can be credited for answering your question through this site.

If I have not answered your question please let me know and I will endeavor to get more detailed and thorough.

Kind regards

Dr. Meghan Denney

Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Meghan Denney, Cat Veterinarian replied 9 months ago

I just wanted to check and see if you had additional questions.

Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Cat Veterinarian