Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

Kitty has a dislocated/ fx jaw. Unable to determine by xray.

Customer Question

Kitty has a dislocated/ fx jaw. Unable to determine by xray. Told to wait until Monday to consult with surgeon and do further xrays under sedation. I think we need a steroid now. She is eating and drinking once the morlhine kicks in.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

In regards ***** ***** history you have posted, a cat with a fracture doesn't need a steroid. Steroids are not appropriate when we need the body to be healing or when there is risk of secondary infection. Instead, she should be kept on the morphine +/- an anti-inflammatory that won't affect her immune system (like Metacam). Otherwise, if she is having any issues with eating, you can offer or syringe feed watered down Hill's A/D, Royal Canin Recovery, or Clinicare Canine/Feline Liquid Diet. All of these are critical care diets that are calorically dense, so a little goes a long way nutrition-wise and would be our focus at home until her vets do those further tests +/- repair that poor jaw.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Metacam is what I was thinking.Can this be given my injection we are having trouble with po meds.I am not sure this is a traumatic injury as she has been drooling recently has lost weight and has increased appetite. She lost her R hind leg in June due to dog attack. She is going to be 7 soon. Though there is a bite wound of her R front paw. Think hyperparathyroid.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hi again,

No worries, Metacam is ideal (provided of course that we can keep her eating a proper amount, since it can upset the gut otherwise) and it is something her vet can give by injection which will last 24 hours. Otherwise, if she has been showing an increased appetite but weight loss, do have her vet check general bloods but also rule out diabetes and check her thyroid function. Parathyroid disease is very rare in cats and not likely; but those signs do fit with diabetes and hyperthyroidism (though she is a bit young for thyroid issues). Depending on their findings on that, all of the above can be medically managed for her.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.