Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My cat has an inner ear infection. She was prescribed

antibiotic and antifungal pills. I...
My cat has an inner ear infection. She was prescribed antibiotic and antifungal pills. I am having the hardest time giving her the medication. I have tried pinching the jaw and dropping the pill in, using a pill popper, pill pockets, having the medicine compounded into a chicken flavor liquid, mixing it with food... nothing has worked. She fights every bit. I even hired a vet tech to come around and the tech really struggled and only got part of the medication in. Is there any other options? I am at my wits end! She is an approximately 12 year old DSH, found 10 years ago as a stray, and probably was feral originally. She is exhibiting uneven size pupils and the third eye lid exposed intermittently in one eye. She occasionally shakes her head. No coordination problems, vomiting, has good appetite, and still plays & has energy.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I meant to say that she is not vomiting.
1/26/2017
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Have any medications been tried in the ear directly?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

No, I have just been washing the ear with KETwash.

This would likely be a worthwhile approach if you are unable to orally medicate her. If she's taking antibiotics and anti fungal medication, chances are she needs a medication like Mometamax which works against both bacteria and yeast in the ear. You'd use the KET flush once daily, before medicating, allow her to shake her head well and then follow up with a liberal amount of medication in the affected ear. http://www.allivet.com/p-3072-mometamax-15-gm.aspx?gclid=CjwKEAiA2abEBRCdx7PqqunM1CYSJABf3qvaVtKusG7dm_b31q6svOKNDQ-5Mvm2x3jU1xBx1rw99RoCByPw_wcB

The uneven pupil size and third eyelid exposure are known as anisocoria and Horner's syndrome, respectively, and should clear once the ear infection has cleared. If the medication in the ear is not enough, you may need to try an injectable antibiotic to see if it helps, something like convenia to keep you from having to orally medicate her.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

I'm just following up on our conversation about Trudy. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse