Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

We just noticed a scab on our cat's neck tonight. It's not

Hi! We just noticed a...
Hi! We just noticed a scab on our cat's neck tonight. It's not bothering her when we touch it, but I am concerned. She had iodine radiation treatment and maybe that where the vet put the injection but want sure. I have a picture of it would help.
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/22/2017
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Cat Veterinarian

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm a licensed veterinarian with more than twenty years of experience. I'm here to help with your question about Sage's scab. I'm so sorry you are having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need. You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided. I'll do my best to earn your good rating, because that's the only way I receive any compensation for helping you.In the meantime, in order to help me help you better, I'll need some more information. To start with, can you please tell me:

• How long ago was her radiation treatment?
  • Can you pleas upload the photo of the scab?
  • How is she acting otherwise?

I'll be standing by and awaiting your reply. Thank you.

Received your photos and looking them over now...

She's acting fine! She's a sweet kitty and full of energy for 17and a half! ��

I'm so glad to hear she's acting fine.
I can see the little scab and it's difficult to tell what could have caused it. Whatever it was, it appears to be minor and superficial and healing well without infection.

Additionally, radioactive iodine is given orally.

Any IV medications would most likely have been given into the foreleg or the inside of the rear leg.

I think this is from something else, but it doesn't look serious.

Thank you. It was difficult to capture with our phone. We tried again, see attached. It just seems like a crusty patch but her hair is not missing, that's why we didn't notice it. I didn't realize the iodine was oral, that's good to know. I thought it was an injection! I just want to be sure it's nothing serious. Thank you so much for your help.

This could be the result of any type of minor injury, of course, but cats will also break out with dry scaly scabs (especially on the neck) for other reasons.

Ringworm (fungal dermatitis), mites, and allergies are the most common reasons. These can be annoying, but none of them are terribly serious problems.

Should I have our vet take a look at it or does it appear to be healing? I just worry since she's not an outdoor cat mites and ringworm should not be an issue with her. Maybe a food alllergy?

If it appears to get better over the next few days, it's okay to ignore it. If it isn't healing, if it spreads, or if she gets, more, it's definitely worth checking out.

Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Cat Veterinarian
Thank you! I appreciate all your help! Have a great night!

You're very welcome and thank you for using our website.

Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Cat Veterinarian