Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

My kitten is indoor/ haired and all up to date on shots. I

My kitten is indoor/long haired and all up to date on shots. I also have two other house cats. The top of my kittens anus is inflammed, not red, just swollen. I saw her scooting earlier today and she also keeps getting feces stuck in her fur back there (which is also abnormal for her)... should I observe for a day or two or get to a vet?

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question about this little one. What is her name? How old is she? When was she last seen by your vet? Is she still eating and drinking well?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Penny is 8 months. She last saw a vet in September of 2016. She is still eating and drinking. She is also acting normal. If I go to pick her up and press on her tail where it covers her anus she does cry a bit. It does not look red but is swollen at the top.

Thank you for all that information about Penny. How have her stools been recently? Soft or pretty well formed? It is good that she's acting normal at this time. Any chance you can post a picture of what you're seeing with the paper clip icon?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The picture is upside down but you can see the slight inflammation and a bit darker... the last two times I noticed her stool, I am assuming it was a bit funnier than usual because it was stuck in her fur.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Runnier*

Thank you for the picture. What may be going on here is that the softer stool is getting caught in the fur back there and then this stays in contact with the skin and causes some mild irritation. Some of these little ones have lose stool as they have eaten something new (a new food or treat). A lot of times, if the stools get back to normal, they don't stick back there and if the skin can dry out, it will quiet down. Some need some medication to help the lose stools get corrected. Others with a lot of long fur back there, they can benefit from a sanitary shave. If you keep the area free of feces and give it a day or two, it may quiet down on its own and the stools could start to firm up.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you. If she was dewormed and up to date with everything, I should not be worried about any parasites?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I also saw her scooting earlier today which I have never seen.

That is good that she has been dewormed and up to date with everything. But, if she's indoor / outdoor, she could have picked up some intestinal parasites from catching something outside like a mouse or something. You could always take a stool sample to your vet to have them screen it. She is scooting as the area back there is irritated and doing that helps to make it feel good. Much like an itch, she's trying to scratch it.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Okay thank you. Would my best bet be to trim the area, keep a close eye for a few days and if it worsens then go see the vet?

I would just clean the area with a damp, warm wash rag and then blot it dry. Don't try and trim it as I've seen way to many nicks of the skin from owner trying to trim areas.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Okay, thanks Bruce!

I'm hoping that this little one is back to normal here soon! Give this ball of energy some extra play time for me! Take care.