Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

My cat has been living with a friend since we adopted her,

Customer Question

My cat has been living with a friend since we adopted her, and the past couple of months, she's been a bit more hyper than usual, including peeing and pooping on the floors instead of in her litter box.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Phoebe, she's about a year and a half old.
JA: How old is Phoebe?
Customer: About a year and a half.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Phoebe?
Customer: In terms of health conditions, no.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It's likely that Phoebe has been more hyperactive than usual because she sees me as her owner and misses me. If I remember correctly, the litter box is located on the floor in my old room. Because of that, she may see the room as my room and being there will make her sad. Another possibility is that since it's used as a time-out room, she may want to avoid it at all costs.
Expert:  Cher replied 6 months ago.

Hi, I'm Cher. Welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply, shortly.

Expert:  Cher replied 6 months ago.

Hello again,

I'm sorry you hadn't received an earlier answer. Various Experts are online at different times and I recently signed in and was notified of your question.

I'm sorry you're having this inappropriate elimination problem with Phoebe. The first step is to have her evaluated by her vet, with a urinalysis, urine culture, and fecal analysis, to make sure an underlying medical problem is not causing this behavior.

However, after reading your information re: her litterbox being in your old room, plus that room being her 'time out' room, I do think this has a lot to do with the problem. First, I would suggest that her litterbox is located elsewhere and another box is added in a different location. Make sure the box is not covered and the litter is unscented. You can add 'Cat Attract' litter additive to each box; it includes herbal attractants that will encourage her to use the litterbox. Here is more information:

https://drelseys.com/product/cat-attract-litter-additive/

-------------

This is usually available in pet supply stores and others, like Walmart, or you can order online.

Make sure to clean all areas where she's soiled with an enzyme-based cleaner for pet stains/odors. Some well recommended ones are Nature's Miracle, Zero Odor, Odor Mute and many others found in your pet supply stores. When the scent is completely gone, she won't be encouraged to eliminate in those areas, again.

I hope all will be well with Phoebe!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer positively, from the ratings box at the top of your page; that is the only way I will receive recognition from the website for my effort and assistance. There is no additional cost to rate. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation. Should you need me for any follow-up, clarification or additional information, simply click 'Reply to Expert' at no additional charge.

Please don't hesitate to request me by name, for any future questions; just type: "For Cher Only" to begin your post. Thank you!

Kind regards,
Cher

Expert:  Cher replied 6 months ago.

Hello again,

I'm just checking in with you to see how things are going with Phoebe.

Please reply and let me know if you found my answer helpful. Thank you!

Warmest wishes,

Cher