Dr. Karing
Dr. Karing, Veterinarian
Experience:  General veterinarian with a special interest in internal medicine and emphasis on individualized care.
24928096

He probably has squamous cell carcinoma, no biopsy taken but

Customer Question

He probably has squamous cell carcinoma, no biopsy taken but large chin and drooling, bleeding from mouth.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?
Customer: no
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
A few other issues: when we took him to the vet on 12/16 he had blood work completed. Liver, kidney and all labs looked good and normal except for the creatine level? was very high and he was sure that was due to the lump on his chin. He also said he had a secondary infection along with the probable cancer. He is now slowing down a little but still very active, drinking water, has some trouble eating, just really concerned about him being in pain. I just don't want to keep him alive for me, don't want him to be suffering....
Expert:  Dr. Karing replied 8 months ago.

Hi there,

I'mCustomerand I am very sorry that your cat is ill. Cancer in the lower jaw area is very difficult to treat and often the prognosis is poor regardless of how agressive therapy is (i.e. surgery, radiation, chemotherapy). Creatine kinase (CK) can become very elevated with muscle damage or strain so it could be related to the lump/tumor, but it can also be the result of stress during travel in the car or resisting during blood collection. In any case, if your cat has cancer in his lower jaw and you've chosen not to be aggressive with diagnostics and treatment, then antibiotics for secondary infection (i.e. Convenia by injection every 14 days), pain medication (e.g. oral buprenorphine twice daily), possibly an antiinflammatory and soft foods are all that can be done to help.

Cats instinctively conceal their illness as a survival tactic which makes it even more difficult to know when it is time to choose euthanasia and it is a personal decision that everyone makes individually. Your heart is in the right place or you wouldn't be asking this question. The best advice I can give is for you to identify the primary traits/behaviors that make your cat who he is and show he is engaged in his surroundings. When those traits/behaviors (meeting you at the door, watching the birds outside, sitting in your lap when you watch television.....) stop happening regularly, then he is probably feeling pretty badly and it could be time to let him go. You might look into home euthanasia provided by your vet or another nearby vet to help ease the process.

I hope you found this helpful. Do let me know if you have other questions.

Thanks,

Customer/p>
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer

I wanted to check in and see if you received my response. Please let me know if you required additional information. If you are satisfied with the information already provided, then the kindness of an accept and positive rating of my answer would be very much appreciated.

Thank you,

Customer/p>