Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I have a 12 year old cat who was born with rickets....been

Customer Question

Good Morning, I have a 12 year old cat who was born with rickets....been ok up until a couple months ago with open sores that puss then heal. She has been wormed and has had a cone on for about 6 weeks and things cleared up. She is now again showing signs of red and raw areas, no open wounds yet...she does not go outdoors..... would you know in general what she has? Karen
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is Karen bleeding a lot?
Customer: no not really, just pus when the area opens. No sign of maggets either. She was put on Revolution Wormer.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Karen?
Customer: She has a good appititte and that really has not changed. It's really just the skin problem. Doesn't seem to be dry either.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 9 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Can you upload a photo(s) of representative skin to our conversation? You can upload photos by using the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see that icon) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/

Your description is consistent with quite a few skin disorders in cats including deep fungal infection (unlikely to go into remission only to relapse), autoimmune skin diseases such as the pemphigus complex, and vasculitis.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
you are saying no cure?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Cant call

Heavens, no. I'm saying that I need to see what you're seeing... and I might have to biopsy one of these skin lesions for a definitive diagnosis which would then allow me to treat her in the most appropriate manner.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ok well thanks anyway but I cant take pics for this. I guess I just have to take her to a vet here

I understand. Feel free to share our conversation with her vet.