PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

I took my 2 year old male cat to the emergency vet because

Hello, I took my 2 year old male cat to the emergency vet because had a blocked urethra on Sunday evening. They recommended hospitalization, but I couldn't afford it right that second (they require immediate payment). Instead, they inserted a catheter, sedated and unblocked his urethra and emptied his bladder, did a urinalysis, gave him a shot of covenia, gave him prazosin and onsior, and did a radiograph. They send me home with onsior and prazosin to give him for the next few days.
As of yesterday evening, he's been leaking out blood. It seemed like a lot, but I took him back and they said that was normal and to give him a few days to adjust to the medication. The only other option they gave me is hospitalization. This morning he's still bleeding and is still having trouble urinating. He's currently hiding under my bed and hisses when I try to touch him. I've offered him food and water, but he doesn't seem to have an appetite. Yesterday he was eating normally and drinking a lot of water.
I would really appreciate any advice. The vets I've called are all giving me different answers and price estimates. My remaining budget is around $1300 right now unless I can figure something else out.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Good morning, Maria.

At this point, you're likely going to keep doing repeat visits without much help if he's truly blocked. You need to look at having him hospitalized and unblocked. The problem with blocked toms occurs with debris in the bladder. If they express the bladder now that doesn't fix his problem in 6 hours when the bladder is full again. Even tiny blood clots can plug the tip of the penis and keep him from urinating. Combine with this the fact that it likely hurts, you get a cranky cat who isn't feeling great.

Have you looked into options like Care Credit or a credit card?

Have you had the opportunity to contact any organizations that help with supplemental funding?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi PitRottMommy, and thanks for your response. I got approved for some Care Credit and got in touch with a charity that gives supplemental grants for emergencies like this. Fingers crossed that I can get my little guy fixed up today. I really appreciate your straightforward response.

Certainly. Keep me posted if you need more help!