Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

Just after my do passed away from Mammary Cancer, I found a

Customer Question

Just after my do passed away from Mammary Cancer, I found a tiny kitten in the woods near an isolated gas station. He was very hungry but seemed ok. After bringing him home and working with him for a couple of weeks, he became a normal kitten...very playful & loving and ate a small can of kitten food and about a 1/4 - 1/3 cup dry kitten food each day and drank water regularly. I am brining him to my office with me during the day, where he stays in a decent sized pet carrier. Three days ago, he just stopped eating and playing. He is still drinking water. He cries for the food, but when I give it to him, he just tries to bury it. I have tried several types of canned food, even tuna and canned chicken to try to entice him, but he licks at it and walks away. He has not been using the bathroom much, since there isn't any food in him. When he 'was' still eating, he threw it up a couple of times. A couple of days before this all started, I had walked away from my lunch and came back to fnd him eating a chunk of feta cheese from my salad. I saw this in some of the food he expelled two days later...it appeared undigested. I had hoped that that was what was making him feel yucky, and now that it was gone, he would start eating again. But not the case. Although, he did eat several kernels of dry food that I left out for him. Another factor that may be important...before this began, a couple of times he didn't finish his canned food and I hadn't noticed until going to bed and cleaning up his dish. So he may have been returning to it after it had been out for several hours. = [ He was about a month and a half old when I found him, and I've had him for a little over a month, so Im thinking 2 1/2-3 months old. He has not been to the vet yet, since I just spend so much on my precious dog. Please help if you can, I really adore this little guy. =' {
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the kitten will be able to digest that. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: Meeko. And thank you...
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Meeko?
Customer: Not that I can think of...I tried to mention everything.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 6 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) How old is this kitten?
2) How have his stools been in consistency?
3) Have you tried any kitten milk or human pureed baby food?