Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

He has been laying on bed all day and I just noticed that he

Customer Question

He has been laying on bed all day and I just noticed that he seems very bloated. He is under the bed and hardly moving. He is 5
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the cat. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Lewes
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lewes?
Customer: He ate a rubber band about 3-4 weeks ago - it was cut so not round...I have been watching him closely. did not see it come out in poop but that was before Christmas and he has seemed okay. He has looked liked and felt like he has been gaining a little weight over the last few weeks but seems to be eliminating. We have another older cat so its hard to say who is doing what. Was trying to coax him out from under the bed with a string toy but he is just laying there watching, but definitely not in a curious/ active way - just barely following it with his eyes
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Cher replied 6 months ago.

Hi, I'm Cher. Welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply, shortly.

Expert:  Cher replied 6 months ago.

Hello again.

I'm sorry Lewes is not feeling like himself. From your description, it's possible that Lewes never got rid of that rubber band and it may be stuck in his intestinal system, causing a blockage. He could look bloated because he hasn't been defecating.

Another possibility is that he has a urinary blockage, which is a medical emergency in male cats. If he can't urinate, the toxins in his body are backing up and causing him to be ill.

http://www.vet.cornell.edu/FHC/health_information/UrinaryConcerns.cfm

----------

He also could have ingested something he shouldn't have, like a toxic substance or another non-food item.

At this point, it would be best to bring Lewes to the closest ER vet to be evaluated and treated.

I hope all will be well with your furry boy!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer positively, from the ratings box at the top of your page; that is the only way I will receive recognition from the website for my effort and assistance. There is no additional cost to rate. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation. Should you need me for any follow-up, clarification or additional information, simply click 'Reply to Expert' at no additional charge.

Please don't hesitate to request me by name, for any future questions; just type: "For Cher Only" to begin your post. Thank you!

Kind regards,
Cher