Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

My Labrador attacked my cat over food. We were right there

Customer Question

My Labrador attacked my cat over food. We were right there and start the fight quickly, but my cat cannot put any weight on his hind leg. There is no obvious injury no blood or cuts. However he's definitely in pain
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did your cat have a fall?
Customer: No
JA: The Veterinarian will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. It might be a fracture. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Bigfoot. He's 17 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bigfoot?
Customer: No He's healthy
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 8 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about this incident with Bigfoot. How long ago did the fight happen? Is it just the one rear leg that he's not using? Is he dragging it?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The fight happened about 20 minutes ago. It's just one rear leg that's completely extended. I'm not sure if he's dragging it or he just can't bring it in to put pressure on it.

Ok. This is a situation where the unknown is if that leg has a fracture / dislocation or is it just a soft tissue injury. It is better that there are no obvious outward wounds / bleeding. Unfortunately, the only way to know if there is a fracture / dislocation for an owner at home is if there is a very obvious bending where a bend shouldn't be. At home, the only thing an owner can really do there is to get him in a quiet area where he can rest and not be further stressed. There are no safe OTC pain medications for cats. Don't give anything to help with discomfort. Could he start to progressively use this leg with that course of action? There is no way to know. If it is discomfort from a soft tissue injury, it may start to get better with time. 20 minutes out is very recent. Ideally, a veterinary exam and x-rays would be done to look for fractures or dislocations. If they are present, then treatment options for those are set up. If it is soft tissue, they may just do rest, time and pain management.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok, so it sounds like you're Saying that if he's still not using his leg by the morning he needs to see a vet to find out if it's broken or dislocated.

Giving her some time to rest is what some owners will do to see if things improve with that. If she's not overtly painful and distressed, giving her some time may not be a bad option.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok, thank you for your advice.

I'm hoping for the best for this older guy!