Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

He is fixed. One year old is spraying all over the house and

Customer Question

He is fixed. One year old is spraying all over the house and very aggressive to my older cat. He has been with us for 8 months.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Puma
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Puma?
Customer: He is a stray that we brought home from a trip to mexico.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Terri replied 7 months ago.

Hello, My name is Terri.
It is my pleasure to assist you today!
I am reviewing your question right now and will reply in a few minutes.

Expert:  Terri replied 7 months ago.

Is the other cat male or female? Fixed?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Both male. The other cat is 8 years old and very laid back and now just really afraid all the time.
Expert:  Terri replied 7 months ago.

Thanks so much for your very helpful reply.

Please give me a few minutes to type detailed answer.

Expert:  Terri replied 7 months ago.

Bless you for taking Puma in!He is jealous of the other cat hence he is marking

He was an outside cat in Mexico so he is used to standing up to other cats and defending his territory.

We can take some steps at home but if they don't work a vet can prescribe amitriptyline.

Go out and get melatonin pills and either turkey baby food or canned cat food turkey.Add 3 mg of melatonin to a tablespoon of food. Turkey contains l-triptophan so the combination will calm him

Give him 4 drops of cranberry juice by dropper every day for 7 days to lower the PH of his urine.

To stop him from bullying the other cat use a throw pillow to gently push him back if he approaches aggressively.

You MUST be consistent and do it EVERY single time! That way he knows his behavior will NOT be tolerated. BUT any time e approaches nicely he gets an immediate food treat so he sees GOOD behavior is instantly rewarded.

Please let me know how he is doing .

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.

Kind regards,

Terri