Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My cat had conjunctivitis a few months ago with an upper

Customer Question

My cat had conjunctivitis a few months ago with an upper respiratory infection. He eyes were "glued" shut. After antibiotics and eye drops he recovered. However, I noticed there's some dried discharge still in his eye. I put warm cloth on it and some of it comes off but I don't want to do it that hard. I called the vet back and asked for more eye drops and they gave me another antibiotic! I told them he wasn't sneezing anymore and he just needed his eyes cleaned but they said the antibiotic would help. I know it won't! I am going to change vets since they were so insensitive anyway when he was sick and I was crying and the people at the front desk were snickering at me! Do you know of any drops that would soften this dried discharge? Thx
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. How old is the?
Customer: There is no noise? Just dried discharge in his eye. He is 9 years old.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the?
Customer: No.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

The poor love!

If you are trying to remove that dried discharge, we can often find flushing this with eye safe saline (ie over the counter first aid eye wash or plain contact lens solution) can soften it to do so. As well, you can try just using OTC artificial tears to lubricate the eye/peripheral skin area to again soften it to remove.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you. Do you mean OTC artificial tears for humans?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Hi again,

Indeed I do, we can use plain artificial tears (avoid any with extra drugs to "get the red out") in kitties as well as people. :)

Dr. B.