Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

He jumped off an arm chair and is now limping in his front

Customer Question

He jumped off an arm chair and is now limping in his front left paw
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did the cat have a fall?
Customer: He's a kitten only 8 weeks old Still playful but doesn't want to put full weight on it
JA: What is the kitten's name?
Customer: Roy
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Roy?
Customer: No He was playing and did a big jump
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago did this happen?

Can he put the foot down on the ground at all?

Any areas of discomfort when you press on the leg? Or when you flex or extend the joints?

Any bone instability or crunching?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
He seems to be fine this morning. Was limping a little last night and sometimes held the paw up, but in good spirits and playful overall. No discomfort when I touch his leg. More restless during the night than previous nights (having said that this is night 3 of having him here so it's hard to tell) but played at night.On another note I am pregnant and concerned that during the night he might use the litter tray and then run straight back into bed with us. Am I at risk of contracting toxoplasmosis that way? He obviously jumps all over us, our pillows etc.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

Thank you,

Now I am very glad to hear that he is fine this morning, as that suggests he just had bruising +/- a muscle strain as opposed to anything more worrisome. So, we'd want to rest him and monitor but that is great news here. Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** the main risk is you handling the feces directly. So, you need to have someone else on litter box duty but there is low risk of you contracting it from him after he has returned from the box. Of course, if you wanted to err on the side of caution, you could have his local vet take a blood sample to check him for Toxoplasma antibodies. If he has none, then we know he hasn't ever been exposed and thus is no risk on that front. If he has a titre, then they can tell if he has an active infection any may need to be treated. Hopefully, the latter won't be an issue but that would be our safest option to just make sure there is no risk at all.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.