Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

I am trying to keep a cat that is an outdoor neighbors

Customer Question
cat...inside rather than out...
I am trying to keep a cat that is an outdoor neighbors cat...inside rather than out side in this coldweather tonight. I have three indoor cats of my own. Mine go inside and out. I have a male cat and two females. My neighbors cat is also a male. They are getting along as I'm up and their just watching. The cats are all fixed. My concern is that they will spray or lift their legs like dogs to scent my house, furniture etc. Your thoughts?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
1/8/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question. This is a situation where the unknown is there. Some cats can start marking / spraying as they are in a new environment. Typically these are male cats that do this. The other unknown is the resident cats themselves may start to urinate inappropriately in the house with the other cat being inside now. Some when stressed can start to urinate inappropriately. It is great that they are getting along as that may mean peace is at and and there will be no marking or inappropriate urination. Time will tell though. The best you can do for them is to make sure they have easy access to litter boxes and make sure they are cleaned more regularly to make them as pleasant as possible.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian