Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

Think my cat has hyperesthesia, Randomly will freak out and

Think my cat has hyperesthesia JA...
Think my cat has hyperesthesia
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your cat?
Customer: Randomly will freak out and aggressively try to bite and scratch his back. Violently enough to fall off ledges, knock over things and leaves himself scratched all to hell
JA: Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Gus about 10 yrs old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Gus?
Customer: He exhibited the behavior while off of flea medication and without any infested areas. Still seeing the issue with top of the line flea collar suggested from local vet
1/7/2017
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. Just ignore it. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately. If you have not responded back in 10 minutes, it may be a longer before I can get back to you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

Where exactly on his back is he doing this?

Does the skin on his back ripple or roll or seem painful when you try to pet him there?

He seems to tear up right behind the shoulder and rib areas, from one side all the way over the back and down to the other side.It does not, in fact (this is gross) he seems to like a little bit of scratching or rubbing on the affected areas.
But he's got solid straight line scabs from scratching himself during these episodes. He's managed to pull out hair on the side stomach/rib areas.

Thanks for the information. It sounds like he may have miliary dermatitis. This is a common skin infection in cats usually related to allergies or external parasites. It doesn't really sound like feline hyperesthesia to me. The skin usually rolls or ripple, and they do not want to be touched. They usually do not itch a lot either. I know you don't see any fleas, but be careful to completely rule them out based on that. Fleas in cats can be very difficult to find because they groom so fastidiously, and adult fleas are on 5% of the population. I never completely rule them out until they are on a good oral (preferably) or topical monthly preventative. With that being said, if your vet has ruled out fleas, this is most likely an environmental or food allergy, with environmental allergies being far more common. It doesn't really sound like skin mites, but I would still do a skin scraping to rule them out just in case. It sounds like, though, he needs a round of steroids and antibiotics to treat for allergies and secondary skin infections. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

That's sounds good. I had suspected some airborne allergen as this started after a move from one side of city to the other and into an area with well known high allergy counts.Will consult local vet for needs. Thank you!

You are very welcome. I have feeling some steroids and antibiotics will help him out a lot. Let me know if you have further concerns.

Hello. I was just following up to see how Gus is doing and to see if you have further questions.

Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian