Cher
Cher, Pet Caregiver 40+yrs
Experience:  Specialist in Pet Healthcare and Behavior
1470369

My 16 year old cat who has been diagnosed with CRF has been

Customer Question

Hello. My 16 year old cat who has been diagnosed with CRF has been having loose bowel movements the last 3 days. They look similar to cow pies. Thicker in consistency but now formed. She has been passing these stools once or twice a day. She is eating regularly and otherwise acting fairly normal. She is on a prescription KD diet canned. Usually she has the exact opposite problem of consitipation and requires 1/8 tsp of Mirax daily. I have not given her the mirax in 3 days. Her stools are dark brown. I do not notice any red blood.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Victoria
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Victoria?
Customer: I do also give her fish oil but have discontinued that today as well. I have dry KD food too, but usually only give her the canned food.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Cher replied 8 months ago.

Hi, I'm Cher. Welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply, shortly.

Expert:  Cher replied 8 months ago.

Hello again, Lucrecia.

I'm sorry Victoria is experiencing this problem with her stools.

I would stick with the canned K/D food for now, but it's possible that she became allergic to one of the components in the food.

Give her some Fortiflora for Cats sprinkled into her food, as this helps clear up loos stools and is also an immune booster. You can find it in pet supplies stores, vet offices or order online. Here is more information:

https://www.amazon.com/Purina-Fortiflora-Feline-Nutritional-Supplement/dp/B001650OE0

-----------

You can also offer her some bland food like plain boiled skinless chicken breast mixed with plain white rice or plain baby food meat containing NO onion or garlic products, to see if she likes it. Beechnut Stage 1 Chicken is a good one. You can add some water to her food in case she's becoming dehydrated from the loose stools.

Sometimes, a cat will have a bout of loose stools for a few days and then, return to normal. However, if this continues over the weekend, put a call in to your vet to report this symptom and she may need to be seen and a fecal sample analyzed for parasites, etc.

I hope all will be well with Victoria!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer positively, from the ratings box at the top of your page; that is the only way I will receive recognition from the website for my effort and assistance. There is no additional cost to rate. Bonuses are always welcomed. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation. Should you need me for any follow-up, clarification or additional information, simply click 'Reply to Expert' at no additional charge.

Please don't hesitate to request me by name, for any future questions; just type: "For Cher Only" to begin your post. Thank you!

Kind regards,
Cher