Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

I took her to the vet yesterday and she had a rabies shot.

Customer Question

I took her to the vet yesterday and she had a rabies shot. She also had quite a bit of fur shaved off due to dematting. Last night she was shivering and now she is all huddled up and cried when I pi ked her up.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** she is 13 years old.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Thumbelina?
Customer: Since her last visit about 6 months ago she lost 2 pounds. She also had topical flea medicine yesterday.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Does she seem sore in any particular area?

Is the skin where she was shaved or where her flea treatment was applied seem red or irritated?

Any appetite loss, belly discomfort, vomiting, or paling of her gums?

Any changes to her breathing (faster then 30 breaths in a minute)?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I cant see that she is sensitive in one area. There has been no vomiting and i dont notice any redness.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

Thank you,

Now Thumbelina's shivering and reluctance to be handled are signs that we often see in cats that are feeling stressed and unwell. It may be that the shaving was a bit too much for her but it could also be that the vaccine is taking a toll on her immune system. I have to note that she may be quite delicate health-wise if she lost 2 pounds without you trying to get her to do so. And if that weight loss was not intentional, then a geriatric blood test would be ideal to make sure there isn't an underlying organ issue or metabolic disease perhaps making her more vulnerable to the vaccine or handling.

In any case, as long as she doesn't have a focus of pain, we'd just want to keep her warm, rest her and monitor. Therefore, if you have not already, it'd be ideal to offer her a heating pad or heated cat bed. If you don't have these, you can make a safe warmer for her by filling a sock 2/3rds full of uncooked rice. This can be microwaved for a minute or so until warm. Shake it to distribute the heat (and do check its not too warm). This can be rewarmed as needed.

Otherwise, we'd want to make sure she is eating properly. Any lapse in appetite and we can try tempting her with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). While doing so, also keep an eye on her thirst and just to note we can monitor her hydration as we watch that intake. To do so, you can find a good video HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html).

Overall, Thumbelina's signs are vague and just suggest that she is stressed and not feeling well. So, in the face of that, we'd want to keep an eye on her but use the above supportive measures. If she settles, we are happy. But if these signs linger or you see any of those changes I asked about, then we'd want to speak to her vet about checking bloods to just make sure there isn't something brewing that we need to address for her.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )