Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

He had a third eyelid drop taking over his eye seems to be

Customer Question
turning in, swollen lump above...
He had a third eyelid drop taking over his eye seems to be turning in, swollen lump above same eye. Deformity of skin at top of eye.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Scampers is 15
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Scampers?
Customer: Trouble breathing and sneezing his whole life. Sample of fluid from bump says cancer. I want a second biopsy to be sure. Can we do anything to save his eye?
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
1/7/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

Third eyelid masses in cats are usually cancerous. The most common type of cancer is Lymphoma, as the tissue is heavy in lymphatics.

The good thing about Lymphoma, is that it's very responsive to chemo and steroids in cats. I would probably do a wedge biopsy to be sure. This is where a wedge of tissue is taken and biopsied. I would probably start the steroids (Prednisolone) while the biopsy is being run. If it's Lymphoma, you do not have to remove the eye (enucleate). If it's some other type of glandular tumor (adenocarcinoma), then enucleation is the next step to remove as much cancerous tissue as possible.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

If my cat has Squamis cell carcinoma in the biopsy result would prednisolone also be a treatment?

Hey, sorry for the wait. I was pretty busy in the ER all day and didn't get a chance to get back online.

If it's a squamous cell carcinoma, then the treatment is surgical removal of the eye and surrounding tissue. Sometimes we can get a surgical cure, but more often than not it will recur in a nearby area (globe, jaw, mouth).

Pred is used less commonly for squamous cell carcinomas.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian