Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My male cat, 10 years old, was just diagnosed with a Squam

Customer Question

My male cat, 10 years old, was just diagnosed with a Squam us cell carcinoma tumor. I believe that diagnosis is true but the doctor also said he did not recommend any treatment. I would like to know about some treatment ideas.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Beckett Moore
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Beckett Moore?
Customer: I don't think so, but I can give details regarding this situation now that I have seen it and read about it
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with your cat. Please tell me where the SCC is found and I'll be better able to tell you what might be done for him.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It's in his throat and growing up in to the back of his mouth. I can feel lump in throat and could clearly see the protrusion when the vet opened his mouth yesterday.

Regrettably, there are only poor treatment options for SCC in that area owing to invasiveness and metastatic behavior; multimodality therapy includes surgical debulking, if possible, of the primary mass and involved lymph nodes, followed by both radiation and chemotherapy. I concur with your vet if only because the quality of life for your cat undergoing such invasive surgery and ancillary care would be unacceptable and the prognosis for cats undergoing such treatment is poor with a survival time generally less than 3 months from onset of therapy.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What are the best ways to keep him comfortable then? I know I can liquefy his food but don't really know what to about discomfort and pain. I'm very loving to him so he'll have plenty of that.

Good hospice care involves the use of a narcotic analgesic such as buprenorphine which can be prescribed by his vet. It's administered as a solution into his mouth and absorbed through the mucous membranes of his mouth rather than needing to be swallowed. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
you think all I can do is pain med and wait? Would you do anything different if it was your pet?

That's not all you can do as I mentioned above. It's all I would recommend doing, however.

I would consider euthanasia at the first indication of inappetence.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Alright thanks for your time and advice.

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.