Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

He's a cat about 9 or 10. he c, and seems can't go

Customer Question

he's a cat about 9 or 10. he c, and seems can't go tobathroom, he licks himself and seem to be in pain
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Budda
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Budda?
Customer: he is a house cat and never been to a vet
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 7 months ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your boy Budda who can't pee! I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next few minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 7 months ago.

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. Budda's symptoms are definitely very concerning this evening. Any case of a male cat that is having difficulty urinating is always concern. As you may have read or heard, male cats are prone to 'blocked bladders'. This is a serious medical emergency where a physical obstruction in the penis prevents a cat from being able to pee. This, in turn, has further consequences elsewhere in the body as time goes by, and can quickly become life threatening if not quickly treated.

So the question is - could your boy have a blocked bladder, or could this be due to an inflamed bladder or another issue. As you have seen him try to pee tonight, but nothing come out, as well as him licking himself and being in pain, I would definitely encourage you to get him to your local ER or after hours vet immediately. Here they can rule a blocked bladder in or out very quickly, and if he is blocked, they will sedate him and pass a catheter to unblock him before monitoring him for a couple of days to ensure he can urinate freely. If you leave it overnight and Budda does indeed have a blocked bladder, then things could potentially have declined further and this can quickly become life threatening.

Let me know how you get on with Budda. Because there is a very high chance he has a blocked bladder here, it is much better for you to play it safe and have him checked immediately. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 7 months ago.

Hopefully you can get your boy seen immediately. Let me know if you have any further questions regarding Budda.

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 7 months ago.

How did you get on with Budda overnight? Did your local vet confirm he was blocked, and were they able to relieve the blockage?

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 7 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Pet Doc