Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

My cat has been throwing up a dark liquid and has la loss in

Customer Question

My cat has been throwing up a dark brown liquid and has la loss in appetite. Also, she is losing weight. X-Ray and blood work came back normal. What could it be? She is also not acting herself.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your cat?
Customer: She was overweight and used to over eat
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 6 months ago.

Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 11 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you. Please be patient as there may be slight delays in responses as I research your pet's issue.

How old is your cat? How long has she been losing weight? How long has she been vomiting? Have they done an abdominal ultrasound?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She is 10 years old. No abdominal ultrasound was done. She has been vomitting for several months. It has a dark brown tar-like appearance. The vet didnt seem concerned and told me to try Royal Canin prescription gatrointestinal diet food which she will not eat.

Okay, thanks for the additional info. At this age and with the weight loss, I would be concerned about possible IBS (irritable bowel syndrome), which can cause weight loss and vomiting, and I would be concerned about cancer in the intestines, which is common in older cats as well. The next step would be an abdominal ultrasound, and if that shows nothing abnormal, then I would start the cat on steroids and see if that helps. That would be the treatment for irritable bowel syndrome. Hopefully that does the trick.

I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Bonuses are not necessary, but are appreciated, as they go directly to me rather than to the website. Best of luck.

Did you have additional questions for me? I see that you have read my response, but I have not heard back from you. Any questions about this? Any way that I can assist you further, or are you satisfied with the information I have provided?