Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

Hi, he has a a drippy left eye, the discharge is clear but

Customer Question

Hi, he has a a drippy left eye, the discharge is clear but the. Eye is a little red. Any home remedies or must he be seen.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Wilson. He is 9 years old and up on his vacccines
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Wilson?
Customer: No I don't think so
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 9 months ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your boy Wilson who has a clear discharge from his left eye recently. There are a few possible causes for a discharge from only one eye and I would personally be concerned there could be a corneal ulcer (from a scratch to the eye for example), or a foreign body beneath the third eyelid. If this has been ongoing for more than a few days, or if he seems in discomfort with the eye, then you are best to get him seen this afternoon or first thing tomorrow if you can. Hopefully he is otherwise ok, and eating and drinking without an issue.

For now, you can also gently wipe his eye with some cool black tea on some cotton wool. Just make up some fresh black tea, let it cool completely, then use this on a little cotton wool to gently wipe the eye 3 - 4 times daily. This would only help in cases of mild conjunctivitis, so if there isn't any improvement by tomorrow, or if he seems painful or irritated with it now, you do need to get him seen in the next day or so. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 9 months ago.

Hi again,

How is Wilson doing today? Has the eye improved, or will you get him seen by your local vet today?

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 9 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Pet Doc