Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

Her eyes are cloudy more reflective and slightly watery,

Customer Question

Her eyes are cloudy more reflective and slightly watery
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Cat
JA: OK. How old is Cat?
Customer: About 10 or 11
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Cat?
Customer: I have shingles and cold sores
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long has the eye been like this?

Any areas where it is less shiny/reflective? Any scratching or lacerations/

Is the eye discharge clear or snotty?

Any coughing or sneezing?

Can you take a photo of this to let me see what you are seeing? To post a photo, you can use the paper clip button on the tool bar above the text box. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web link here for me to have a peek.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Her eyes have been like this for over a week now. Maybe 2. She has had allergies in the past so I thought that was the problem, but she's never had this reflective cloudy look and it's in both eyes. A little over a month ago she had been sneezing constantly one sneeze after another all day long and I took her to the vet and they said it was allergies and gave us amino acids. Now she's only sneezing every now and then. The discharge seems to be clear now but has been whitesh. I do not see a scratch but on her left eye I see something strange in the bottom that wasn't there before some type of dark flaw . She seems to be eating and using the bathroom as normal as well. I am going to try and attach a photo.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

Thank you,

I have just received your reply and will have a peek at the photo just now.

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

Just a quick question, was the amino acid L-lysine?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am not sure
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

Thank you,

Now given her signs, we do have a few concerns.

With a mild haze to the corneal cover of the eyes, this tells us that the eye is inflamed/irritated. This means we do have to think about issues like allergies, fine corneal trauma (ie from dust, dirt, etc), but also can see this with viral causes (ie. feline herpes), and sometimes bacterial ones (a concern if the discharge is becoming opaque). And I have to say that if she has chronic sneezing and was treated with an amino acid instead of an antihistamine, I'd question if her vet thought she was a herpes carrier. If she is, that is a life time infection that can wax and wane to cause signs like those we are seeing.

With this all in mind, its worth double checking what she was on. As well, we can try flushing the eye with eye-safe saline (OTC first aid eye wash or plain contact solution) to see if we can remove any irritants present. Also if allergies are suspect, you can try her with an OTC antihistamine. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl). A low dose (ie. 0.25mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce allergic irritation. Alternatively, you can also use Cetirizine (just 5mg for a cat) once daily. For either, we like to keep the dose low, since it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, these shouldn't be used if your wee one has any known health issues or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first.

Of course, if she doesn't settle with that, then we'd want her vet to check and stain her eyes with fluorescein (a yellow UV reactive stain that binds to the under layers of the cornea). This will allow them to appreciate if there has been damage to this eye (as well this can pick up the spider like dendritic ulcers , a feature of the feline herpes virus). At the same time, eye drops to reduce inflammation and prevent infection can be started. And we can have them check that discoloration, as we can see brown material on the cornea with inflammatory disease but your photo suggests this may be on the iris (and it has a bit of a blood tinge in your photo) so internal eye infections and issues would also be a concern we'd need to consider here.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you!: )