Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My cat being vomiting an tender to his abdomen on palpation.

Customer Question
HI my cat being vomiting...
HI my cat being vomiting an tender to his abdomen on palpation. the vomit is his food an possible stomach juice. I notice this tonight I came home from work. He not acting normal he being hidden.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your cat eat anything unusual?
Customer: not what I notice
JA: What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: lucky about 2yrs
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: lucky
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about lucky?
Customer: just that I have a Christmas tree which is real
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
1/4/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your boy Lucky. Is there anything he could have gotten into today? Does he lick, sniff or try to eat the real christmas tree?

Dr E

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Drink the water with sugar under the tree

Ok - thanks for that. I'm replying now.

Dr E

Sorry I can't currently take live phone calls, but I am replying to you here now.

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. There are a number of things that could be going on here with your boy this evening to cause this vomiting and we need to consider anything from an infectious gastroenteritis, to a toxicity (hopefully there isn't anything that he could have gotten into), to intestinal worms or even a foreign body obstruction. Christmas trees can cause gastrointestinal irritation if ingested, and ingesting the water the tree has been sitting is the likely cause of Lucky's vomiting tonight. As such, you will definitely need to continue to keep a close eye on him, and if this vomiting continues, then you will need to get him seen by your local ER or after hours vet tonight. Likewise, if he seems particularly lethargic now, you are best to try and find a local after hours vet to check him over straight away.

For now, make sure Lucky has plenty of fresh water available and encourage him to drink. The biggest concern right now is that he could become dehydrated. If he won't drink or can't keep water down, then you are best to get him seen by your local ER vet tonight where they can start him on some intravenous (IV) fluids. You can with hold his food until the morning now, and from then you can start him on a bland diet of cooked, boneless, skinless chicken breast and boiled white rice. Don't worry about getting him to eat tonight, but definitely encourage him to drink now and over night. If he isn't interested in drinking, then you could try making him up a fresh chicken broth. For this, just boil up some fresh chicken until cooked, scoop off the solids, allow the liquid to cool, then feed him this luke-warm broth.

For now, please keep a close eye on Lucky's mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate as follows:

Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

Best of luck with Lucky and hopefully these symptoms settle in the next few hours. As above, if he can't keep water down, seems very lethargic, or if any of the parameters above don't seem right, then definitely play it safe and get him seen tonight. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Hopefully your boy's parameters were all normal? Let me know if you need any further assistance?

Dr E

Pet Doc
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian