veniz-cssm
veniz-cssm,
94959369

Shakes her head and scratches ears. she is an inside cat and

Customer Question

shakes her head and scratches ears. she is an inside cat and has not been exposed
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: to ear mites.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?
Customer: i only asked if i could use neomycin and polymyxin b sulfate and hydrocortisone in her ears
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  DrBridget replied 9 months ago.

Hi! My name is***** and I am a small animal veterinarian. I am reviewing your question to formulate an answer. Do you mind answering a few more questions so I can get a better history on your cat? When did the symptoms start. It looks part of the initial history you provided may have been disrupted did you say "she is an indoor can and has not been exposed to ear mites"?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
that is true..as a matter of fact i have 3 cats that are doing the same thing. all inside cats.. have not been outside in almost
5 years. their ears do not look dirty inside. they do not want me to touch their ears. my dr. gave me (for my ears) neomycin and polymyxin b sulfates and hydrocortisone for my ears. i was told it had been used in cats ears also. that is why i have
asked the question . it has been going on for a month of two.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
am i on the right screen to get a reply???????????

Yes I am still typing...

Thanks for the extra information. The fact that all the cats are doing the same thing makes me think that this is likely infectious. The best thing to do is to take the cats to a vet to have an ear exam performed with an otoscope and ear swab and microscopic exam performed. This exam and test will tell you what is causing the symptoms and will enable a vet to tell you what medication will be safe and effective.

Ointments with similar ingredients to the one that your doctor prescribed to you have been used in cats, but it is important NOT to apply any medication without having a vet exam performed first. the reason for this is that some normally safe ingredients can cause damage to the ear drum and inner if the ear drum has already been affected by the disease process that is causing the shaking and scratching.

Ultimately I realize that it would be nice to be able to use something that you have on hand at home but I do not recommend you use the ointment until your cat is examined by a vet, it would be an even bigger problem if the medication causes more damage. On the bright side...hopefully the local vet after examining your cats ears will approve the use of the ointment that you already have, so you can avoid buying more medication from the vet.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions. I wish you the best of luck.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet. Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I AM NOT ABLE TO GET OUT MUCH. I THOUGHT I WOULD GET MORE HELP. I REALIZE IT WOULD BE BEST
FOR THEM TO SEE A VET. I GUESS THIS IS ALL I GET FOR WHAT PRICE??????????????? VERY DISAPPOINTED
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
WHY AM I GETTING REFERRED TO ANOTHER VET. I AM SURE THEY WILL TELL ME THE SAME THING. HOW DO
I REQUEST MY MONEY BACK?
Expert:  veniz-cssm replied 9 months ago.
Dear Customer: We received your customer service inquiry, however, we are unable to respond to you because we do not have your email address. Please contact customer support at***@******.*** and provide us with your email address and a link to this question page so that we can help you. (http://www.justanswer.com/cat-health/a4o61-shakes-head-scratches-ears-inside-cat.html). Thank you, ***** ***** Customer Support Team.