Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

Why does my cat sit close to the wall and stare at it? Not

Customer Question
head pressing, just staring. JA: I'm...
why does my cat sit close to the wall and stare at it? Not head pressing, just staring.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: around 2 years old and his name is teddy
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about teddy?
Customer: No, this is just some weird thing that I've never seen before. He's active, gets along well with the other cats (3 in total), eats, drinks water, etc.
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/4/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Cher, Feline Specialist replied 10 months ago
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist

Hi, I'm Cher. Welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply, shortly.

Hello again,

If Teddy always does this at the same wall, it's possible he may see minuscule insects on the wall. If he does it on other walls, insects or even shadows are possible, that attract him and peak his interest. It's also possible that he may hear something or smell something on or near this wall.

There are certain medical issues that may cause a cat to start into space or stare at a wall and one is feline hyperesthesia. Typically with this condition, a cat's skin will ripple or twitch on her back and she will take off running through the house for no discernible reason. This is a neurological condition, so if more has to be looked into, your regular vet might refer you to a veterinary neurology specialist. Here is more information:

http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/health_information/HyperesthesiaSyndrome.cfm

------------

I hope all will be well with Teddy!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback from the ratings box at the top of your page; that is the only way I receive recognition from the website for my effort and assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply to Expert' for clarification and/or additional information, if needed, at no additional cost.

Please don't hesitate to request me by name, for any future questions; just type: "For Cher Only" to begin your post.

Bonuses are always welcomed.

Warmest regards,

Cher

Thank you.

You're most welcome! It's my pleasure to be of help to you and Teddy!

Please kindly choose a positive rating from the ratings box on your page, to rate my answer, so I receive credit from the website for my assistance. Thanks very much!

Cher
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist