DrBridget
DrBridget, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  11 years veterinary experience in small animal medicine and surgery.
74693245

My little kitty is on his third week of splint care after

Customer Question

My little kitty is on his third week of splint care after breaking his back left leg just above the joint. This is the third splint change and he's been agitated after each change for the first day or so and then seems to adjust. He seems to be a little more agitated this time than the other times, what are some things I should be looking for to make sure the splint is placed properly?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  DrBridget replied 8 months ago.

Hi! My name is***** and I am a small animal veterinarian. I'm sorry to hear that MrFreeny seems agitated after the splint change. I'm currently typing up my reply. This may take a few minutes, thanks for your patience.

It is good that you are seeking advice about splint care for MrFreeny since unusual behavior is one of the best indicators of comfort level and potential irritation. Splints are very important tools for immobilizing broken bones but can cause problems if they are out of place.

To assess if the splint is placed properly I would try to have a helper hold MrFreely for you or try to examine him while he is sleepy so you can get a good look without him moving around too much. First look at the top of the splint...is there any heat, redness, swelling, hair loss above the splint. Often vets will not leave toes visible below the splint but if his paw is visible check for heat, redness, swelling of his toes too. Then take a look at where the splint is sitting, since he has had the splint on for a few weeks you are in a good position to compare if it seems like it has slipped down from where it normally sits. Also look to see if any layers of tape or bandage material are loose or wet.

The next important aspect to consider is how comfortable the splint seems...is MrFreeny using the splinted leg as he has in the past weeks? If he is not putting weight on it or shaking it or trying to groom at more than normal this new splint may be causing him some more discomfort.

Ultimately you don't want him running or jumping in the splint, limiting movement will help his fracture heal but if you notice any abnormalities like heat, swelling, redness, hair loss, loose or wet banage material or if he continues to act unusually I suggest that you contact his treating vet. It would be best to be sure they examine him to make sure that he does not need any modifications to the splint. Sometimes pain medication may be necessary if the splint is causing him to be agitated.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet. Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
His toes are not visible at the bottom of the splint but I will take a look at the part at the hip and see if I notice any abnormalities. Thank you.

You are most welcome. I hope that Mr Freeny is feeling better soon. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

How is MrFreeny felling today? Did he let you take a look at the splint?

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance. If you found my answer was helpful please "accept" my answer and rate me by clicking on the stars at the top of the page.

Kind regards,

Dr. Bridget