Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

We have a one year old 9# cat, one of three to the mother

Customer Question

We have a one year old 9# ***** one of three to the mother also with us.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the cat?
Customer: I'll try to describe: His name is Jerry. Two weeks ago Jerry has a severe amount of mucus draining from one nostril. Then he developed a flow of mucus from that one nostril followed by panting for breath, We took him to0 our Vet and she inspected the airway in the nostril in question, cleaned it and in the process found on a scope a ball of mucus constraining that path. She told us that her inspection revealed a place that would need to have a small "flap" restricting the airway deep in the canal removed and stitched up. antibiotics were. given and brought back home. Bigger problem: We have 23 cats of all stripes and sizes. All rescues so not in the best of health as might be expected. We want to know if you concur from my description and your experience we should have this procedure done? But furthermore what would this cost us. We have spent tens of thousands on the cats already. I'm 76 and on a walker my wife is 66. We hope we don't have to sell our house, our only asset and know that there will be a time when it will be impossible to pay great amount s on any of our cats. But we want to help Jerry.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jerry?
Customer: Just what I have described. He is in good health. Bot***** *****ne, what would be the cost of minor surgery in the airway, stitched up with tiny stitches. We have been burned by not asking, I mean BURNED, and in all cases the work did not extend the lives of our pets. But if a few hundred and not thousands dollars will do it they can have Jerry right away.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 6 months ago.

Hi this is Dr. Hill Please give me a moment to type my full response. Thank you

So, first let me address the medical issue. My honest answer is that what you are describing does not make sense, so I need to clarify in order to give you a better idea on cost. Did Jerry have a rhinoscopy, where they stick a tube with a camera in his nose? It does not make sense that they would need to stitch up a flap in his nose. Do you have any written discharge instructions or your invoice from the procedure stating what was done? This may help discern what was done

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He did have the rhinescopy and the vet said there was a "flap" at the farthest part of the nostril that would need to be removed, sewed with a very small needle with stitches that would absorb.
A

So the surgery would be with the nostril itself and not in the nasal cavity or in the mouth.

Is the flap of tissue in his mouth that is restricting the airway?

If it is a flap in his mouth that is restricting his airway, then that sounds like an elongated soft palate which would be very unusual in a cat.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Were you wanting a phone call to discuss?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He has not had a rhinescopy. Shadow appeared on xray in nostril. He can breath and eat but he has a noise when breathing sometime. His breathing appears okay but sometimes he seems to be taking a gasp and breathing through his mouth.

It sounds like you need more clarification from your veterinarian as to what was found. I would contact her tomorrow and ask for a written statement of what was found and the exact procedure she is recommending along with an estimate. That way we can review it together and I will be able to provide more accurate information. Let me know once you have the information.