Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My cat is 13 and he has been sneezing a lot lately. He

Customer Question

My cat is 13 and he has been sneezing a lot lately. He sometimes has a yellow mucus. Is there any thing I can do for him?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: His name is*****: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Mr.?
Customer: He also coughs and I was wondering if that is a cold or fur balls
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long has he had these signs?

Is the mucus from one or both nostrils?

Any changes to his breathing?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
He has been sneezing for a month and I don't know if it both nostrils. He shakes his head and the mucus flings out.He has always coughed but seems more now,
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Thank you,

Based on your history, we have a few concerns for Mr. Kitty. To start, to see yellow mucus that tells us that he has a bacterial infection. That said, if this has been going on for months and he has a cough as well, then we'd be concerned that the bacteria is an opportunistic infection and that we have an underlying viral issue (ie herpes) or a possible airway polyp, mass or fungal infection.

With this all in mind, since we have signs of bacteria, we'd want to have his vet start antibiotics to clear that. Though in the meantime, you can start supportive care to try to ease his signs. First, if he is sneezing, you can take him in the bathroom while you run a hot shower. The steam will help loosen and clear some of the snot congesting him. You can also use a baby nebulizer or humidifer, but often they don’t like things held up to their faces. If he doesn't, then you can make a little ‘steam tent’ with him in his carrier with a sheet over that and the humidifier.

If he is building up mucus that the steam isn't shifting, you can use a cotton ball moistened with warm water to wipe away crust and mucus. Furthermore, you can use saline nasal drops like Ocean Mist or Little Noses (but not anything medicated) to further reduce discharge build up. To do so, just tilt his head back and drop two to three drops in one nostril. Cats hate this, but it helps. After the drops go down, you can let the head up and wipe away any discharge that gets loosened. Then repeat with the other nostril.

Making sure he is getting food and water is important, as congested cats who can’t smell their food often won’t eat as well as they should. So, if you see any lapse in appetite, do try tempting with smelly wet foods can help break through that congestion and keep them eating. As well, it can help to warm it up a bit in the microwave to help him be able to smell it.

Finally, since herpes is a concern with the cough, you can consider treating him with L-lysine. This is an OTC nutritional supplement that) can help them recover quicker. This is available over the counter as a gel, powder, or crushable tablets to add to food. Most health food stores, pet stores, and the vets carry this and the average cat dose is 500mg a day.

Overall, it sounds like poor wee lad has a bacterial upper airway infection. Though I am concerned that at his age and with how long this has been ongoing there is more to his signs. Therefore, I would advise starting the above supportive care measures. But if he isn't settling with those in the next day or two, we'd want him checked for those other concerns. His vet can start antibiotics but if any of those other issues are found then we'd want to address them as quick as we can for Mr. Kitty.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.