Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

We just adopted a kitten (10 months old) three days ago and

Customer Question
she has begun to sneeze...
we just adopted a kitten (10 months old) three days ago and she has begun to sneeze a lot. She came from a humane society shelter and ate different kinds of food all the time. We are feeding her Purina dry and wet food. We had an Airedale dog up until a month ago when she died.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the kitten will be able to digest that. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: Sparrow. She was found wandering at a nature center.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sparrow?
Customer: She is quite lively but a good kitten.
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
1/1/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear Sparrow is sneezing. Having an upper respiratory infection, with sneezing, eye discharge and a runny nose is not uncommon in kittens from shelters. Most of these are viral infections, and run a course of a week or so and get better on their own.

Is she eating well? If she is, you may not need to do much. You can use children's nose drops such as Little Noses for sneezing. If she has any eye discharge, you can use Terramycin in her eyes (available over the counter unless you are in California). If she is not eating, then you should have her checked out.

Let me know if this is helpful and what other questions you have. I love her name: I may steal it someday!

I hope you were able to see my responses; I have not heard from you. How is Sparrow doing?

Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian