How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Gary Your Own Question
Dr. Gary
Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Category: Cat Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 3924
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675
Type Your Cat Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Gary is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is hospitalized with breathing problems, She was diagnoses

Customer Question

Is hospitalized with breathing problems
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the cat?
Customer: She was diagnoses with fluid in lungs, which they tapped and sent out to be analyzed ... but also found a large mass in her chest cavity
JA: Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Scooter, she's approx 12 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Scooter?
Customer: She "seemed" perfectly fine until wednesday, then showed what I thought were signs of a cold or bronchitis ... she is overweight 20 lbs
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 9 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 9 months ago.

I'm sorry to see that your question has not been addressed before now. How can I be of assistance today?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
My cat was hospitalized on 12/30 with fluid in her lungs. Images show a large mass in her chest cavity, not in the lungs but competing her a ability to expand her lungs fully. She is approx 12 years old. Vet is recommending putting her down or have surgery to remove the mass. I love her dearly and don't want to put her down .. but don't want to put her thru the trauma of surgery if it will just prolong her distress. They have tapped her lungs and sent the fluid out to be analyzed. She is breathing better now but still on oxygen. My question is, in your opinion, if I should wait until the results come back before ruling out the surgery? Thanks in advance for any thoughts or insight you might have for a cat of her age and condition.
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 9 months ago.

Masses in the chest are typically aggressive and can cause worsening symptoms within a short period of time. If she were my own cat, I would do what was necessary to keep her stable until the pathology report came back and then make a decision on how to pursue treatment.