Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My cat is scratching on herself a lot lately. I notice that

Customer Question

Hi, my cat is scratching on herself a lot lately. I notice that it is mostly around her legs and up by the nape of her neck. She is an indoor cat and I have never seen any fleas.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did your cat have a fall?
Customer: She did smack her head a on a table when she jumped down a week ago but thus has been happening a little longer
JA: What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Jasmine 8 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jasmine?
Customer: Not to my knowledge.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The only other thing I can think of is that I switched her food a few months ago. We are currently a 3 cat household and the food switched when the 3rd cat came in because they were eating 3rd cats food anyway. I don't know if that has anything to do with her problem.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 9 months ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Jasmine's scratching.

Do any of the other cats go outside at all, or do you have a dog? Fleas are still a possibility if any of your other pets go outside, or when the third cat came into your household if he had been an outdoor cat. If a cat is allergic to flea bites, it can take only one or two fleas to set them scratching all over, and it is hard to see just a couple of fleas on a cat. Using a good flea medication or the Seresto collar might be a good idea.

Food allergies can also make a cat itchy, usually around the face and ears. Switching back to the old food might be a good idea as well. Let me know what else I can answer for you today!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
One of the cats has gone outside before but it has been a year or more. The other two have been raised inside. Is there anthing I can give her that would ease her scratching while we are making changes? And how do I keep her from eating the other's dry food? Or should I switch them all from Mrow mix back to Purevita?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 9 months ago.

If you are going to change the food back, I would feed it to all the cats. Make the change gradually, start adding the new food in with the Meow Mix, and then gradually lower the amount of Meow Mix until they are all eating the new food.

You can try giving 5 to 10 mg of Benadryl for itching, twice daily. It does come as a liquid, for children. Make sure it is just Benadryl (diphenhydramine) with no other ingredients like acetaminophen or pseudoepedrine.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 9 months ago.

Let me know if this helps and if you have any other questions!

Expert:  Rebecca replied 9 months ago.

I hope you were able to see my response; I have not heard from you! Let me know if my answer was helpful and how she is doing.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 9 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?