Ola Barrett
Ola Barrett,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Lake Chatuge Animal Hospital
77721119

My cat is not eating or drinking. There is no fever. She

Customer Question

My cat is not eating or drinking. There is no fever. She still seems hungary though. She is about 14 years old.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Duchess.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Duchess?
Customer: Goopy eyes and a crusty noses. When giving fluids by syringe, one side of her mouth gets foamy on the right side of her jaw.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Ola Barrett replied 9 months ago.

Hello, I am Dr Ola and I would be happy to help address your concerns about Duchess. I am sorry to hear that she hasn't been feeling. Based on your description, I suspect that she may have an upper respiratory infection. Most respiratory infections in cats are viral in origin but can also have a secondary bacterial component. Another thing that is of concern is feline leukemia if she is an outdoor cat and hasn't received her yearly vaccinations.

Regardless of the origin of the infection, I recommend that you make an appointment with your veterinarian right away (tomorrow morning at the latest). When cats get a severe nasal and sinus congestion, they will not eat because they can't smell a thing. That is why she seems hungry but isn't eating on her own. She will need her regular veterinarian to prescribe antibiotics for her (either injectable or oral) and some additional nutritional supplements. For tonight, make sure you keep her inside where it is warm and comfortable. If you are able to able a warm compress to soften some of the crusts on her nose, that would be helpful. If you have a humidifier or can create steam in a small bathroom to open up her nasal passages, please do so. Continue to syringe feed her some water and also add in some chicken broth until her appointment in the morning. Cats who do not eat for even a short period of time can become very sick very quickly so I would take her in as soon as she can. Your vet can complete the necessary test to determine the diagnosis and give her the treatment she needs.

I hope this advice was helpful to you. Please let me know if you need clarification on anything or have other questions about this. Also, please do not forget to rate my answer which I hope you found to be "excellent." You may do this by clicking "rate our conversation" below (Your rating is the only means of compensation I receive for answering your question). Again, let me know if I can help you further:)

Hello, I am just checking in to check on Duchess?? Let me know if you have additional questions about anything?