Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My dog's nail on his back foot was inflamed and over a day

Customer Question

My dog's nail on his back foot was inflamed and over a day or two, he made it a hotspot with his licking. Yesterday we went in, he got it wrapped and he got some meds. Today we had to go back in to get it re-wrapped because he licked it and got it wet again. Tonight he got through it AGAIN and when we unwrapped it, it looked like there might have been some pus coming out of the nail bed? I don't want to constantly harass our vet, but I'm worried about his foot. Is it possible they need to remove his nail? It looks like now it's split.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
This is the area around the nail that's partially split.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 9 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 9 months ago.

Sorry about that wait.

That actually doesn't look too bad in the picture. The nail bed is pretty inflamed, but the tissue looks healthy. It doesn't look like there is anything necrotic that would warrant removing the nail.

I would usually treat with Chlorhex solution dips and oral antibiotics like Cephalexin. I would typically leave it open and just use an e-collar to prevent licking for 1-2 weeks.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
He is PETRIFIED of the cone of shame and the inflatables don't block him enough- will it be okay if we keep it dry but just replace the bandaids? Should we tell our vet he got it wet even though we have it dry/wrapped now?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Not bandaids- bandages, my apologies
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 9 months ago.

Bummer, some dogs just don't tolerate them.

In that case, I would change the bandage daily until healed. If it gets wet, then that's how they get more infected.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Okay- we can happily keep changing it and keep it dry. Thank you so much for your help!
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 9 months ago.

No problem, happy to help.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 8 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?