Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

One of my cats third eye lid is showing and today she's

Customer Question
tilting her head and has...
One of my cats third eye lid is showing and today she's tilting her head and has a little lost of balance. What can I do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Missing and about eight months.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Missing?
Customer: Sorry Missy. She was fine till today with the balance thing. She's had the eye problem about a week.
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/4/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

The concurrence of a head tilt - a vestibular (balance) sign - and third eyelid prolapse is strongly suspicious of a peripheral (involving the inner/middle ear) vestibular syndrome with concomitant Horner's syndrome which can cause third eyelid prolapse, a miotic (smaller than usual) pupil, ptosis (upper eyelid droop), and absence of the blink reflex. Both infection in the inner/middle ear and an inflammatory polyp originating in the middle ear are important differential diagnoses for Missy. Missy's vet will need to perform a thorough physical and neurologic exam on Missy which might necessitate X-rays of Missy's middle ear(s) in order to clarify the diagnosis and prescribe the correct treatment.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Will she be alright?

The conditions I mentioned are treatable and when treated appropriately are curable with some combination of systemic and otic (ear) antibiotics and /or surgical removal of a polyp.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Thank you very much!!

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian