Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

I have two kittens but one that has suffered from extremely

Customer Question
Hi. I have two kittens...
Hi. I have two kittens but one that has suffered from extremely foul smelling diarrhea & gas. She is also very laid back to the point I'm thinking she's more lethargic vs laid back. The breeder she came from has the animals in deplorable conditions. The other kitten is fine, but I'm worried about her. She is extremely loveable & sweet.
Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: She send to not get enough to eat & consistently had a round firm belly. She also will "go" anywhere.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I would like to note that she does tend to play, just not like our other kitten who's a few weeks older. She is approx. 14-16 weeks.
11/29/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

How long has she has these signs?

What color is her stool? Any blood?

When was she last wormed?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could she have eaten something she should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi, thank you for responding. They have both had horrible smelling loose stools since we brought them home. Kota doesn't seem to be bothered by it & is good about using the pan. Hers seems to have improved. She's approx 3 weeks older. Both kittens are ravenous every time we eat & have to lock them up. I can't help but wonder if they were fed properly to begin with. We are feeding them Blue Wilderness Kitten Food. Bali looks bloated every time she eats and I noticed last night she has gas as well. Regardless, she's still very sweet & loving. I don't know if she's truly lethargic or just very laid back. I've just never seen a kitten who's so tolerant and calm. My daughter adores her, we all do, just not having to scrub the carpet constantly from her mishaps. They are strictly indoor pets. The breeder said they were wormed, but I honestly don't have a lot of faith in her after seeing the conditions they were exposed to. I don't know if it makes a difference, but they are Puma cats. Puma being a new breed between Burmese & Bengal. They are mostly Bengal.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I apologize for not fully answering your questions before. Her gums are pink, maybe a tad sickly, but moist? Her stool is brown, but not dark a bit on the light side, but appears normal in color. Her belly is distended intermittently, not constant. There is no guarding and the abdomen is soft.

No worries, my dear.

I am just back from seeing my own patients and was composing my thoughts for you.

Now given Bali’s background of coming from a less then ideal breeding cattery, we’d be most suspicious that the agent causing her diarrhea is infectious. So, we’d be most wary of a persistent bacterial agent (ie Campylobacter, Clostridia, etc), virus (ie coronavirus, etc), protozoa (ie Giardia, coccidia, cryptosporidium, Tritrichomonas –that one often makes them leaky), or parasites (I too question if she has been wormed and really if the place wasn’t very hygienic we’d need to reworm monthly until she was 6 months to ensure she was clear).

With all this in mind and since we don’t want this to linger (especially since there is risk she may keep going outside the litter box if this becomes a habit), we would want to be proactive here. Especially if her immune system hasn’t’ seemed to overcome this as Kota’s has. Therefore, to start, it’d be ideal to worm them both at this point. Ideally, we’d want to use a good quality wormer but specifically for this situation I would suggest Panacur. This will cover our worm concern but also helps against Giardia.

Afterwards, the best next step would be to collect a sample of her feces and submit it to her vet for testing for those above concerns. This can submitted even without a visit and can narrow down our above concerns to know what is present and thus what we’d need to address here for your wee one.

Otherwise, in the meantime, we’d want to take some steps to firm these stools. Especially as that ravenous appetite could be habit from kittenhood but may be a sign that they are fighting the nutrient loss that this loose stool will be causing. To tackle this, to start we can add fiber (ie canned pumpkin) to their canned food to bulk up the stools. We’d also want to consider an OTC probiotic (ie Fortiflora, Benebac) to help ensure optimum digestion.

As well, since she is very runny herself, you can consider trying a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure if this is infectious; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options, we most often use OTC Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p). Do avoid Pepto Bismol. Imodium, or any containing salicylic acid since those aren’t cat friendly. Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (all available OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing this upset GI.

Overall, at her age and given her history, this sounds like a persisting infectious agent that her body just cannot shift. So, the above would be our best points of call to get to the root of this and get this settled for her.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you for the input! Do you believe this to be viral or bacterial? I gave the other kitten & another one that turned out to be from the same lineage that turned a year in June. I will certainly get on those recommendations right away & call the vet. Thank you so much for sharing your time!

You are very welcome,

It is difficult to say, but I'd put the protozoa on the top of my concerns, then a bacterial agent, and then possibly coronavirus (but alongside something else, not working on its own). And we always have to remember that they can have more than one thing present and that can be why the immune system doesn't overcome the agent. So, do use the above and all the best for you all.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian