Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My cat is vomiting clear fluid with pink which looks like

Customer Question

My cat is vomiting clear fluid with pink which looks like blood. And now he is appearing to have clear bowel movement with red in it like blood. Is light and color. Started about 24 hours ago.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your cat eat anything unusual?
Customer: Not to my knowledge. My husband is concerned that maybe he drink out of the toilet because I do keep sanitary balls on the side of the toilet to keep it clean. But we have no proof that that's what happened.
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your cat?
Customer: He's 15. He's usually very healthy. He usually has a huge appetite. He usually poops regularly and urinates regularly. He has been struggling with his stomach lately probably within the last three weeks. We assume they were here balls but really it was more like vomiting. I don't know if that has Progress to what this is or if it's something separate
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 7 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Hello, again, my name is***** will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Any pre existing medical conditions?

2- Is he on any medications?

3- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
As far as I know there are no pre-existing conditions. He is not on any medications. At this point he's not eating. I did see him drink water yesterday. I haven't seen them do that today but I'm trying very hard to get him to drink. Never done this before. I'm so worried about him. I usually don't do things over the Internet. Please tell me that you will help me and that I didn't take a gamble over the Internet get taken advantage of. Please tell me that you are a vet and you were going to try and give me your best advice now that I have paid the fee. Thank you

I am sorry for the delay in response, I had some technical issues at this end. I am a licensed veterinarian, you have not been taken advantage. Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, when we see blood in the vomit and stool this is a sign of inflammation in the gastrointestinal tract. Certainly, the ingestion of toilet cleaners can be very irritating to the upper gastrointestinal tract and cause ulceration which can lead to vomiting blood. However, in this case, you are also seeing blood in the feces which is coming from the colon (large intestines) which leads me to believe there could be something else going on. There are many different types of medical conditions that would cause these symptoms. Unfortunately, it will not be possible for me to pinpoint the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination and some testing, I am sorry. But, common causes are ingestion of a foreign body, infections, toxicity, or even part of a systemic disease. To determine the exact underlying cause he will need a hands-on examination by a veterinarian, blood work and x-rays as an initial screening test. Pending test results the attending veterinarian will start him on a supportive care of IV fluids, anti-emetics, etc. In the meantime, until he is seen by a veterinarian this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 3-4 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 3-4 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian as soon as you can. If cost is a concerned look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter