Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

I have a 6yo female Calico. She used to be highly anxious

Customer Question

I have a 6yo female Calico. She used to be highly anxious and has had a rough year. We moved in August and she improved so much that I took her off the prozac. She's been doing wonderfully!So then I decided to change her food from hill's prescription I/D (dry) to a grain free dry food. Mostly due to the fact that I've moved far away and I can't get the prescription food without paying an arm and a leg for it. Now she has had loose stool ever since and I t's been slightly over two weeks. I know change in food takes time, but now I'm wondering if I made a mistake. Did I?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

In regards ***** ***** question, we always need to tread with care if we have gut sensitive cats. Now hopefully you gradually weaned her onto the new diet and didn't make a quick change as that often causes loose stools in kitties. Though I have to say that if she has continued with loose stools over 2 weeks, that suggests that that new diet isn't agreeing with her. Therefore, you would be best to see if you could order the I/D online for a lower price (since online vet pharmacies tend to be able to charge less) or we may need to think about alternatives that may work better for Pumpkin (ie Royal Canin Sensitivity Control or Gastrointestinal diet, Purina EN).

Otherwise, to just help with her loose stools now, if she will take canned food you could try adding canned pumpkin to her diet to bulk up her stools. As well, since often there is a degree of gut microflora (the good bacteria that help them digest their food) upset in these case she may benefit from OTC probiotics for cats like Benebac or Fortiflora. And if she is very runny you could try her with a small dose of OTC Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p). Though do avoid Pepto Bismol, Imodium, or any with salicylic acid since those aren't cat friendly.

Finally, just as a combination treatment, you can use a kaolin/probiotic paste (ie Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber)for her and these are all available OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing this upset GI and seeing if we can get her stable.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.
Hi Tracy,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Pumpkin. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you so much and sorry for the delay! I am in the process of moving them to the Royal Canin Digestive Care as well as a probiotic. The only thing I am confused about is that the feeding guide only goes up to 13 lbs and my two are roughly 16 lbs (Yes, another issue I need to deal with). 13 lbs at low activity calls for a serving of 3/4 cup. Would you suggest that I give them a cup a day? They are currently on 3/4 now and they are begging me for food. They never beg so I know they aren't getting enough. Thanks!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

No worries,

If she is 16lbs, then a cup a day would be fine to use for since she will need ~ 20% more than what the 13lb ration.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you! I started them on a cup a day today. It's been about 9 days since I started them on the new food, but only 1 day since they are only eating Royal Canin. I'm still noticing some issues with their stool, not diarrhea, just soft. I'm going to give it a few more days for sure. Worst case, I go back to the Hills Prescription I/D. Thank you!