Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My indoor/outdoor cat received two puncture wounds on his

Customer Question
back over a week ago...
My indoor/outdoor cat received two puncture wounds on his back over a week ago. The would began to heal but he keeps licking it open. It oozes but does not appear puss filled. His apetite and playfulness are normal. Wound about size of a quarter. Tried antibiotic ointment and later hydrogen peroxide but he licks it right off. Should I take him to a vet? (Cash is tight right now)
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
11/26/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Levinson, Cat Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr.  Levinson
Dr. Levinson, Cat Veterinarian

hi there, this is Dr. Levinson.

It sounds like another cat may have had a fight with him. We see this almost daily at my practice. The important thing is to keep it clean and keep him from being able to get to it. Therefore, I'd rec taking him into a petsmart or petco or mini mart or other pet store to get the correct sized e-collar for him. He won't like it but too bad this is the only way the sore will heal. 2nd because this IS most likely a bite wound , yes, i'd still take him to the vet to get some oral antibiotics or an injection that lasts 2 weeks , called convenia, which is an injectible antibiotic.

You can take the e-collar off in order that he eats and if your home to supervise him but if you're not home or when you're sleeping I'd definitely have the collar on.

does this make sense.

If this has helped can you please rate me?

thanks,

Dr.  Levinson
Dr.  Levinson
Dr. Levinson, Cat Veterinarian