Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  full time veterinarian at Tender Touch Veterinary Hospital
95569734

I adopted a female cat from the humane society about a year

Customer Question

I adopted a female cat from the humane society about a year ago and lately her breathing seems labored. She wheezes when she breathes and her breath has gotten really bad.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** they think that she was about two years old when I adopted her.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Kyra?
Customer: She seems to maybe have the sniflfles as well.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 11 months ago.

Hi this is Dr. Hill Please give me a moment to type my full response. Thank you

From the history you have given, I would look at two major causes of her signs. The first would be a viral upper respiratory infection. This is likely something she was exposed to at the shelter. The upper respiratory viruses can remain dormant but then flare up in times of stress (changes in household, other illnesses, etc). They can be mild with just some discharge from the eyes and sneezing or they can be severe with upper airway congestion, secondary bacterial infections and ulceration of the oral cavity. The second would be primary dental disease. Dental disease starts as mild inflammation, but progresses to an infection in the gums and can become an infection of the bone. Either of these could cause the signs you describe. It is very important to make sure that she is eating. Sometimes canned food or even fishy canned foods are needed to encourage eating. Kyra should be evaluated by your local veterinarian as soon as you can to make sure that she does not need antibiotics. They will also listen to her chest to make sure that there is no evidence of infection in her lungs. Dental disease and viral infections are very treatable, but do require some care through your local vet. Please ask any follow up questions. You can continue posting on this thread for a few days after rating my response. Take care.

Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 10 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Kelly Hill