How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Alleyne Your Own Question
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Cat Veterinarian
Category: Cat Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 974
Experience:  Veterinary Associate at Acres Mill Veterinary Clinic
Type Your Cat Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Alleyne is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My cat had to be put down because he was exposed to

Customer Question

My cat had to be put down because he was exposed to something toxic. What? Before he became ill, he had caught and possibly eaten mice. Could his renal failiure be the result of the mice's consumption of d-con?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what your cat ate?
Customer: We were on vacation and a friend took care of him in our house. He only had his cat food and those dental treats. He had left four dead mice for our friend to find. Sometimes he ate the mice he caught. He was also confined to a limited area of the house, so there wasn't too much else he could have eaten as far as we know. Our friend said that after he found the mice, the cat was very, very thirsty. When we returned home, I could he wasn't not grooming himself as he normally did. My husband described him as lethargic.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your cat?
Customer: He had been very healthy and a bit more active than the average cat. In the spring he had zipped up one tree and down, and then did the same with two more trees.
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 8 months ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have providedregarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Do you know how high the kidney values were? Was he showing any other signs like vomiting or diarrhea?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No. The person checking on him saw that he had caught multiple mice. Often, he didn't eat the mice he caught, but sometimes he did. As we were away and he wasn't getting the tidbits my husband usually gave him from his dinner, I think he would have been more apt to eat a mouse. There really shouldn't have been anything else -- but one can never know. He vomited once after we came back. The vet said he had unusually high value -- which is the reason I thought the cat had consumed something toxic.
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 8 months ago.

Sorry I was off line when you responded. It is possible that your cat was exposed to something toxic that caused the kidney failure. But it is unlikely it was due to the D-con. Rat poison usually causes bleeding disorders or neurological issues. It is rarely causes issue with the kidneys. Another toxin that cats can get into is antifreeze which tends to cause a major issue with the kidneys. Is it possible that he could of gotten into antifreeze?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It seems very unlikely that he got into antifreeze.
When I looked up rat poisons I did find that one was released in 2013 that will dehydrate an animal -- was it ever used around our way? I don't know.It was the vet that tho't he got into a toxin. However, can we really know? I think I'll ask for the blood test results.
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 8 months ago.

Yes the bloodwork results may help with this mystery for sure. But there are also plants that cats can get into as well that can cause problems as well that you may want to look into.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you. The cat did go outside during a few of the daylight hours.
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 8 months ago.

You are welcome. Hopefully you will find something out