Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

I moved my cat (who was already anxious and on Prozac) to my

Customer Question
Hello, I moved my cat...
Hello, I moved my cat (who was already anxious and on Prozac) to my parent's home last Thursday. She is mostly under the bed and still scared of my family members and hides from them. She just hangs out with me in my room, and that is still her "safe room" though she has started wondering around the house at night when everyone is asleep. What can I do to make her more comfortable? I am leaving this Friday and am afraid that she will have a hard time when I leave. Thank you!
Submitted: 12 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/22/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian replied 12 months ago
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry that your cat is having a little trouble adjusting but it sounds as if she's doing reasonably well, under the circumstances, since she's only been at your parent's home for just a few days. The fact that she's starting to explore at night is a good thing since this probably means that she's starting to fell less anxious and afraid. Hopefully, it will just be a matter of time before she feels comfortable coming out during the day.

It is possible that she might have a bit of a set back when you leave on Friday but use of Feliway may be usefl to not only help with adjusting to her new home but adjusting to your not being there. This product is a natural pheromone which was specifically designed for use in cats to reduce anxiety and stress. It comes in a diffuser which can be plugged into the wall. It's often available at local pet/grain stores or can be purchased online.

I hope this helps and things work out with her. Deb

I have tried Feliway in the past, and it wasn't helpful. Should I bring her downstairs, or let her come out on her own?

I've had inconsistent results with Feliway as well but I always suggest it since it does appear to work for some cats.

I would let her explore on her own; I wouldn't force her to do anything if she's not ready to leave her "safety zone". Let her decide when she feels safe and is ready to interact with your parents or others in the household. This is one of those situations where patience is important since you can't rush the adjustment and acclimation she needs to go through before she feels comfortable in her new home.

Deb

Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian replied 11 months ago

Hello again,

I was curious to know how thing were going with your cat since some time has passed. Is she interacting more with the rest of the family?

Deb

Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian