Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

Cat is not feeling well since last night. I thought it was arthiritis. I noticed that she only pooped a tiny bit since

Customer Question
She is not feeling well...
She is not feeling well since last night. I thought it was arthiritis. I noticed that she only pooped a tiny bit since yesterday. Could that be a problem?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Tigger is 14.
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Tigger?
Customer: She has always been in good health. Her meow doesn't sound quite right, maybe like she doesn't feel well. She normally drinks lots of water but not so much today. She is peeing fine however.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/21/2016
Cat Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 1 year ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

When was the last time that Tigger had bloodwork?

Is she still eating?

Was the stool she produced soft or hard? Any difficulty in passing it?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Tigger has never had bloodwork. She is not eating which is not like her. The stool was hard as usual. I didn't see her pass it but it was tiny, less than a half inch.

It would be worthwhile to have bloodwork performed on her given her age and symptoms. A small, hard stool may indicate that she is dehydrated or has kidney issues, both of which could certainly make her feel very poor. Arthritis could also be a leading factor in her not feeling well, but typically that has no bearing on the quality of stool that is produced. Also, if she's been drinking a lot of water, as you mentioned, this can signal to us that there may be an underlying medical concern like kidney disease, as mentioned, or diabetes.

All that said, how is she eating for you? If she's not interested in food, when did she last eat?

Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian