Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My car has got infected paws and has been treated with

Customer Question
antibiotics. Unfortunately this has...
My car has got infected paws and has been treated with antibiotics. Unfortunately this has not resolved and a dab has been sent of to grow cultures to identify correct antibiotics.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: however. since last week she is also jumping in pain and not eating well. Only taking food she can lick. Today she went for normal wet food. It in opening her mouth cried out in pain and rubbed her face with her paw repeatedly. She has also started sneezing. No nasal discharge or weeping of eyes though.
JA: The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the veterinarian. Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about the cat?
Customer: The car is called Bourbon and she is 14 years old.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/21/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Kelly Hill, Cat Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Cat Veterinarian

Hi this is Dr. Hill. I suspect that your cat has a viral infection. Are there any sores in the mouth. Calicivirus can cause severe ulcerations. Is Bourbon on any pain medications, or just the antibiotics?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi. I cannot see any ulcers. No discharge for nose or eyes either.
She is on locicom and noroclave at the mo. She also had convenia injections.
Cat Veterinarian: Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert replied 1 year ago
Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert

I am sorry Bourbon is poorly.

You can apply raw honey to any sore or irritated areas. It is a remarkable healing agent:

http://winterparkhoney.ecrater.com/p/4865201/16-oz-melaleuca-honey-raw-unheated

http://oramanukahoney.com.au/animal_care.html

Put socks for a doll or preemie on her feet, taped at the top. Change daily.

In addition, you can add one quarter of a 4 mg chlortrimeton to a tablespoon of baby food chicken or turkey with no onion or garlic.

https://www.chlor-trimeton.com/
http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/chlorpheniramine-maleate-chlor-trimeton/page1.aspx

Give it every 24 hours. It is very tiny so she will not detect it

Any of these are also acceptable:

Benadryl at a dose of 1/2 of a 25 mg tablet given twice daily or

Chlorpheniramine at a dose of 2-4 mg twice a day or

Claritin (Loratadine) at a dose of 2.5-5 mg/cat or

Zyrtec (cetirizine) 5 mg once or twice a day

It is important to ensure that the formulations used contain ONLY the antihistamine and are not combination products (e.g. Claritin-D contains pseudoephedrine, which could cause very significant adverse effects in a cat).

Please let me know how she is doing. Just reply here or if you prefer, we can speak on the phone.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition from the site for my assistance. Thank you!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed and I will always be here for you and your kitty.

Kind regards,

Terri

Terri
Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert