Dr. Lori
Dr. Lori, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian
96382098

My cat is semi-ferrel. He has developed many pinhead size

Customer Question

Hi My cat is semi-ferrel. He has developed many pinhead size hard "tumor-like"places on his entire body and it itches him badly. he is now skinny, but has a distended stomach. He eats quite often and a lot. His stool is semi runny.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the veterinarian. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Oliver about 3-4 yrs old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Oliver?
Customer: He has been recovering from scratches on his face and rectum has dark little spots that seem to itch
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I did indeed apply a store-bought flea and tick med, I thinkit was before the condition began some 2+ months ago
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I am somewhat illiterate when it comes to computer send/receive services, so patience is needed
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I do know how to text on my phone..can we communicate that way?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Also, Oliver is rather inactive..sleeps a lot
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I must go. The computer I use is in the library and the time is restricted..I will just print this out and hope you will text or call me. I will be able to return soon to re-connect by computer. Thank you for any help you suggest.
Expert:  Dr. Lori replied 8 months ago.

Hello I can help with oliver.

Expert:  Dr. Lori replied 8 months ago.

You have to accept the phone call from here. The experts do not have access to your phone number until then.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Is that an ADDITIONAL $15?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I will respond to your text ASAP, OK? Thanks
Expert:  Dr. Lori replied 8 months ago.

yes it would be an additional $15 but we can talk this way also.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I am rather poor, and would prefer to text or email..is that OK?
Expert:  Dr. Lori replied 8 months ago.

Its sounds like oliver has flea allergy dermatitis. It can lead to the black crusting /itchy lesion that you have described.

One thing you could do is pick up frontline or advanTAGE from a store like petco. These flea medications are safe and effective. But it will still take 3-5 months of applying the prevention every 30 days before your flea are gone.

If oliver has flea allergy dermatitis this condition often needs steroid and antibiotics fro a vet to heal the skin.

Expert:  Dr. Lori replied 8 months ago.

For the loose stools Oliver needs to be dewormed first. You can pick up dewormer at the pet store, but they may not be as effective as the ones from the vet.

You could also try Culturelle Probiotic Digestive Health Capsules and give half a capsule a day on olivers food. This may help with the loose stools.

Expert:  Dr. Lori replied 8 months ago.

You can try these over the counter recommendations as you are short on money. But have you looked into a lowered cost clinic for him. Maybe an SPCA nearby?

Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to issue a rating for me so that I am compensated for helping you today.