Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

Term itchy nose, cat scratches until bleeding. Have been

Customer Question

long term itchy nose, cat scratches until bleeding. Have been getting treatment for over 3 years. Antibiotics, antihistamines and steroids. The cat has just been kept indoors for 6 weeks while being given antibiotics and has had anti-scratch collar. The problem was looking under control but last night the collar came off and the cat has scratched the nose raw again.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The veterinarian will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?
Customer: She is otherwise healthy 6 year old de-sexed cat
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Cher replied 8 months ago.

Hi, I'm Cher. Welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply, shortly.

Expert:  Cher replied 8 months ago.

Hello again,

I'm sorry your kitty is having this problem with her nose for such a long time.

Was a diagnosis ever made?

Has the vet ever taken a skin scraping (painless) of cells from the area to analyze under the microscope and/or send to a lab, to find out the cause of this itching?

Does your cat get a topical flea treatment bought from your vet, applied behind her neck, monthly?

Thanks for all your additional information and after you reply, please allow me a short while to get your detailed answer back to you.

Warmest regards,

Cher

Expert:  Cher replied 8 months ago.

Hello again,

I was hoping to get some additional information from you, but I can send your answer now, so you don't have to wait any longer.

The source of this itching on your cat's nose must be determined. Ask the vet to do a skin scraping (painless) of the area and either look at it under a microscope and/or send it to a lab for testing.

The itching could be caused by environmental and/or food allergies or external parasites like fleas and mites. Even if you don't see any fleas, all it takes is the bite from one flea, to cause the allergic reaction.

http://www.petplace.com/article/cats/diseases-conditions-of-cats/skin/allergic-dermatitis-in-cats

---------------

If you use scented candles, incense, air fresheners, have a smoker in the house, used a new laundry detergent or fabric softener, or a specific cleanser, these are some environmental causes for allergies

in cats.

Food allergies can be caused by soy, corn, wheat, gluten, carrageenan, artificial flavors, colors and/or preservatives found in your cat's food. Try to feed a grain-free food, where real meat is the first ingredient. Some cats are allergic to the protein source (meat) in their food, so you can get a food with novel proteins like duck and rabbit. Royal Canin, Blue, Natural Balance and many other companies make Limited Ingredient Diets (LID) foods, found at pet supplies stores, vets offices or can be ordered online.

If your cat spends time outdoors, her nose could be getting sunburned, especially if it is a light color. There are sunblock products that can be safe for cats; discuss this with your veterinarian.

You can find a soft E-collar in your pet supply store, to keep her from scratching at her nose. If that is not big enough, she'll have to wear the hard 'cone.' You can even fashion one yourself, from cardboard:

http://www.petplace.com/article/cats/first-aid-for-cats/nursing-care-for-sick-cats/elizabethan-collars--for-cats-e-collars

--------------

I hope all will be well with your kitty!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback from the ratings box at the top of your page; that is the only way I receive recognition from the website for my efforts and assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply to Expert' for clarification and/or additional information, if needed, at no additional cost.

Please don't hesitate to request me by name, for any future questions; just type: "For Cher Only" to begin your post.

Bonuses, although never expected, are always welcomed, for a job well done!

Warmest regards,

Cher