Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

Cat is eating 5 cans of food a day, checked for worms,

Customer Question
tyroid issues etc, has 3-4...
Cat is eating 5 cans of food a day, checked for worms, tyroid issues etc, has 3-4 formed stools a day 20 years old! Siamese driving us and our neighbors crazy! Question: why is he eating so much, why is he crying inbetween meals as if he hasn't eaten in a month? He has gained at least 3 pounds in the last 2 months as well. Wakes us 2 x night to get feed as well. Vet gave me xanax for the cat. any other suggestions (can we remove his larynx?)
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
11/15/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Janet, in these cases hyperthyroidism is being missed in the great majority of cases. Any T4 of 2.0 or higher at Sylvia's advanced age should indicate hyperthyroidism even though the normal range is considered 1.0-4.0. Do you recall what Sylvia's T4 was? Less commonly, a brain tumor affecting the appetite center in the brain (hypothalamus) or a maldigestive or malabsorptive disorder is present. Maldigestion is tested for with a TLI blood test. Malabsorption is suggested by a lower than normal serum folate and/or vitamin B12 level.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian